Thursday, January 5, 2012

Simple Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce

 
 
 
 
5 cups of white bread (dry hot dog buns, rolls, cubed 
4T  butter divided
5 oz. evaporated milk (not condensed)
1 cups whole milk
1/4cup plus 2T sugar ( if you are not going to make a sauce for the pudding use 1/2 cup sugar)
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinanmon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Mel;t 2T butter a8 x8" baking dish and spread the bread cubes evenly in the bottom; set aside. Reserve the rest of the butter for later use. In a large bowl, mix together evaporated milk, 1 cup of whole milk, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until eggs are completely mixed in. 
2.Add cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well and immediately pour over bread; let set 5-10 minutes, pressing down occasionally. 
 


3.Pour additional milk over the bread if  the bread is too dry.  Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes until bubbly and golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.  Melt the rest of the butter that was used to butter the dish and pour evenly over the hot pudding as soon as it comes out of the oven.  Serve warm or cold and if you like top with a sauce of your choosing.
 


* I got this bread pudding recipe from cookingwithk.net She has a great blog go and check her out.

The Vanilla sauce recipe I added to the bread pudding was my own


Vanilla Sauce
1/4 Cup sugar
1/4 Cup brown sugar
1/4 cup half and half
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
 
1.Combine first 4 ingredients in pan over med heat and stir until it thickens and comes to a full boil about 5-8 min. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over slices of bread pudding.


 

7 comments:

  1. Your vanilla sauce is a great addition...I am going to add to my link as well and link back! You are a "sweetie" for giving me a shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks just wonderful. My hubby LOVES bread pudding. Pinning this and will make it soon. Thanks - I love Cooking with K also! Thanks for stopping by my blog...please come again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm new to your website but from what I see here, I will be using it often....lots of great recipes, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love "old time" recipes so much and they're getting more scarce as years roll by. Thanks for keeping them alivve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New to this site but I'll be back! This recipe sounds delicious. My hubby LOVES bread pudding. Gonna try the
    sauce...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting ready to try your bread pudding with vanilla sauce. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished the bread pudding I used my leftover biscuits with the vanilla sauce.Absolutely delicious thank you for posting this recipe by the way my homemade buttermilk biscuits made it great.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think.. Leave me a comment :)