Monday, November 15, 2010

Berry Oatmeal Bars



1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow or white cake mix
2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
3/4 cup margarine, melted
1 1/2 cups jam Any kind you like. I used Boysenberry
1 tablespoon half and half or milk
1/8 tsp almond extract

1.Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F  Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
2.In a large bowl, mix together oats, cake mix, and melted margarine so that it makes nice clumps and there is no dry mix left.


3.Press 1/2 of the oats mixture evenly into the bottom the prepared pan.

4.In a separate bowl, mix jam half and half and almond extract


5.spread over the crust. Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture evenly over the top.


6.Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 23 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned. Cool before cutting into bars.


2 comments:

  1. Love bars and that looks like an excellent recipe. I do have a coupla questions. The first did you really like 'em? Would you change anything? In the ingredients list you call for 1TB of H&H or milk yet in your photo it looks like there was maybe more added? Just wanted to double check with you. :)
    Thanks & happy Friday's Eve!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ingrid I did really like them and I think it is because I did change it around from the original recipie. The original recipie was raspberry jam. I am not a big fan of raspberry and so I used the boysenberry and also added the almond extract. I know that the picture looks like more then a Tablespoon half and half but that is all that is in there. When you mix it up it blends really well and makes it great to pour it on the bottom crust. I did put my bars in the fridge to harden up a little before I cut them and then I also stored the leftovers in the fridge. The crust and the topping is really crumbly and so when they are cold it helps keep them together. Let me know if you have any other questions. But I would say this recipe is a keeper and so easy to make :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think.. Leave me a comment :)